Tuesday, 20 January 2009

I see dead people [instructions...]


Tuesday already. It's been a while since my last post - just like at school - 'must try harder'.
It's not all my fault I hasten to add, had an old friend over at the weekend, and we had a lot of drinking to do. It's hard work, but we make it look easy. Not that I spent the weekend pissed mind you, I actually did some clever type stuff by going to a few talks, one of which was by Ben Goldacre - a columnist for the Guardian newspaper and a very funny man. He was talking about science reporting in the media (as he does on his blog) and about how 80% of it is just made up crap, usually sponsored by some company trying to sell you something, and copy-pasted straight out of a press release.

Anyways, I was having a read on his blog when a story about seeing dead people caught my eye. This story has had quite a bit of media coverage over here, and was printed in the Express (a large national paper) amongst others. It's basically this: If you drink coffee, you will see dead people.
Now I know what you're saying, 'I drink coffee, and I don't see dead people'. Well, you're obviously not drinking enough coffee are you. Whole story is here.

It's a big day today for all our American cousins over there today. You get a shiny new president to replace the broken one you've had for the last 8 years. Apparently the new guy is much better, he can count to 10 on his own and can even feed and dress himself, so there's an improvement straight away.
I remember a while ago, just after the last election when 'W' got in, again, and I was talking to this American women who'd voted for him. She couldn't understand why everyone else in the world didn't think that was the best of choices. I remember her saying 'he's a very clever man you know'. Well he's certainly hidden it well.
As for the new guy, well, I think people are going to be disappointed when it turns out he can't walk on water or turn grass into marijuana or anything. I think he's a vast improvement and will have a positive effect on the US and the rest of the world, but it's going to be a series a small steps rather than a revolutionary leap.

Which brings us nicely on to white supremacists. They arrested a guy just after Obama won the election for plotting to assassinate him. These white supremacist types really should take a good look at themselves - this guy lived in a trailer with no job, no money, and couldn't even spell 'assassinate', thinking that there's not a problem in the world that can't be solved by guns or god. You'd think it would occur to him that if there is a master race, he's clearly not in it.


Anyways all you lucky people in blog blog land, to celebrate a new El Presidente, today you get a quote, and a song:

Quote of the day: 'It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.'

Old but still good:

3 comments:

K2Comfort said...

If only there was an EASY fix for the problems that have been created...unfortunately, there's not.

BUT, this president can count to ten (maybe even a hundred..woo hoo!) and that is an improvement, so we're moving in the right direction. And if nothing else, that makes me happy.

Whoever that woman was you were talking to, she's an idiot. I know this because only idiots call other idiots "clever."

"Dense," "impaired," "not-all-there," "a-few-sandwiches-short-of-a-picnic..." These are more apt for W.

Change...change is good...no matter how small. This is a good day.

Hillbilly Duhn said...

I'm still pondering the "You see dead people if you drink coffee" hmmm. Haven't yet experienced that myself either.

Writers Block said...

With you there K2Comfort - a good day indeed.

Hillbilly - the headline was '3 times more likely', but the science was '3% more likely if you already hallucinate quite a bit.'
Though anyone who drinks more than 7 cups of coffee a day probably has bigger issues.