Wednesday 7 January 2009

Wednesday - already?


Just been out for another run, and Christ it's cold. I know some of you probably live places were it gets to minus 80 and if you go outside for 4 seconds you get frostbite, but here in the UK we're used to it being being grey and mediocre 90% of the year, with a few days of sun in summer and if we're lucky a few days of snow in winter. Minus 10 it was last night, Minus 10!

Anyways, enough of being typically English and talking about the weather.
Today is turning out to be yet another boring day at work in my boring job with my control freak of a boss. Every week I have to fill in a time report that says what I worked on and for how long, and every week my boss calls me up and says:
'Hey, you put down 3 hours last Wednesday for (insert project here), what were you doing?'
and I say: 'I worked on (insert project here) for 3 hours?'

I mean, what do they expect me to say? Why am I spending 2 hours every week filling in these things if they're just going to ring me and ask anyway? Next time I'll tell them I was drinking lighter fluid or something.

Sadly this is typical of who I work for. Why do something easy when you can make it far more complicated, involve far more people, and make it take twice as long? I really need to get writing more and get something published so I can give up on this torrent of mediocrity I call a job.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a ranting mood today. I'm never happy when I get back from a run. Someone told me endorphins are supposed to kick in after running, I guess mine are broke or something.
So here's a nice picture to make up for it that I took on holiday last year. I'll give a gold star to anyone who can guess the country.

And I'll leave you with a quote of the day:

'If you can keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs, perhaps you do not understand the situation'

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I guess that the picture was taken in....SPAIN or PORTUGAL? (hope you don't mind I guessed 2 at the same time)

Your posts are so entertaining; you should get them published...just don't let your boss see them!

Writers Block said...

Wrong answer, but a good guess. You can have as many goes as you want until you get bored (or get the right answer of course).
Love your photos BTW.

And yes, I would be in trouble if my boss saw this, yet another reason to live in anonimity.

Anonymous said...

Interesting posts, not in it for the virtual gold star. I'll follow for a bit and see where you lead me...

You might even have a bit of fun over at my place/s.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Kimberly said...

Hey! Just thought to drop in since I read your shameless post on bloggers.

I like the way you write.

Picture...hmmm, England?

Unknown said...

I will guess China, since it is one of the biggest countries in the world and I have a higher probability of being right.

I agree...If running is supposed to be healthy, why do you always feel like crud afterwards?!?

Oli Smythe said...

Well, WB, writer's block is not my prob, and since you have created one, you need to just KEEP WRITING...about anything, everything. As you will be able to read from my post, I have several going on...different subjects, the main one, should you decide to "follow" and post comments, is Cynical or Just the Facts Mam. But the others are rants, which I have sorely not posted to, focusing on the above mentioned for the past few months. Have no idea where the photo was taken, other than it is looking down from above. HA! Keep writing!

Writers Block said...

Well, Ksquared is the closest so far. I know no one cares, but I'll give you the answer tomorrow anyway, and Kaquared will get half a gold star if no one else gets nearer.
Thanks to you all for the comments.
And just in case you needed any more proof of how amazingly cold it is at the moment, apparently the sea off Dorset froze for half a mile last night.
THE FRIGGIN' SEA! I mean, I thought this only happened in dodgy disaster movies?

Michael said...

Hello, fellow Doctor Who fan. I am excited to see Matt Smith.

I haven't been running in a while. I do not have the luxury of time to run. Oh, unless you count rushing around in the morning, getting from home to school, jumping from one mode of transportation to another...

Ah, people who like to create overcomplexity. That's worth a good post on my blog.

Michael.

Trader Jack said...

I would place my bet on Thailand ;)